Monday, April 1, 2013

I found this recipe on the back of a box of quinoa. I had just finished the three weeks of my reset plan and this dish used many of ingredients so I didn't feel like I was cheating to far from the line, but the appeal of a little bit of Mozzella after no cheese for the whole 3-week plan would not let me pass it by. It was scrumptious.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers:
(serves 4)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
4 large green peppers
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used oyster mushrooms)
2 tbsp butter (I substituted extra-virgin olive oil)
1 - 28 oz can tomatoes, coarsely diced (reserve juice)
2 garlic gloves, crushed
1 -12oz jar salsa
2 tbsp dry sherry
10 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Pre-heat oven to 325. Prepare quinoa (see prior instructions in this blog - or on the box) Steam peppers until soft but not limp - this helps remove the stems and seeds when you cut the tops off. In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms with butter or oil. Add the diced tomatoes (reserve the juice). Add the crushed garlic and salsa. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the sherry and simmer 10 more minutes. Fold in quinoa. Place peppers in baking dish and fill with mixture. This will take about half the mixture. This the rest with the tomato juice and pour around the peppers. Sprinkle shredded Mozzarella over peppers and bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment